Sports activities for children are part of their development and education. It is important that, from this age, they assimilate the importance and values of sport, and that they also carry out physical activities that allow them to develop properly. At Internacional Aravaca we are aware of the benefits of sport for the health of our pupils, which is why all our educational programmes incorporate physical education classes, aimed at encouraging their physical and emotional development through sporting values.
The benefits of sporting activities for children
Practising sport for children has a great number of benefits, both physically, emotionally and socially. The advantages of practising sport at our international school of Madrid are the following.
- Physical health: Sport helps to improve children’s cardiovascular, respiratory, muscular and bone health. It also reduces the risk of obesity, diabetes and chronic diseases.
- Motor development: Sport helps develop coordination, balance, agility and strength in children. These skills are important for motor development and injury prevention.
- Self-esteem and confidence: Sport is an activity that allows children to set goals and overcome challenges. By achieving these goals, children feel more self-confident and increase their self-esteem.
- Social skills: Playing sports encourages teamwork, cooperation and communication among children. These social skills are important for the development of healthy interpersonal relationships.
- Discipline and perseverance: Sport teaches children the importance of discipline and perseverance to achieve their goals. These skills are important for academic and personal success.
- Stress reduction: Sport is an activity that helps children reduce stress and anxiety. It also improves mood and reduces the risk of depression.
- Learning values: Playing sport teaches children values such as respect, tolerance, honesty and responsibility.
The practice of sport in children has multiple physical and emotional benefits. It is important to encourage physical activity from school and promote participation in organised sports and outdoor activities, thus contributing to the overall development of children and improving their quality of life.
Sports activities that help development during childhood and adolescence
One of the advantages of physical activity is that there are dozens of sports that can be practised by primary and secondary school pupils. Among the most suitable for these ages, we highlight the following:
- Football: It is a popular sport all over the world and allows children to develop skills such as teamwork, coordination and speed.
- Basketball: This sport is ideal for developing skills related to ball control, endurance and cooperation.
- Athletics: Running and jumping are activities that can be great fun and beneficial for children, as they promote coordination and other basic physical aspects.
- Swimming: Water sports are excellent for developing endurance and concentration. It is also a very refreshing activity on hot days.
- Karate: It is an excellent activity for developing discipline and self-control in children.
- Cycling: Cycling is a fun activity that helps to develop endurance and balance, as well as allowing us to get to know our surroundings.
- Gymnastics: This activity is excellent for developing flexibility and coordination in children.
- Tennis: This is one of the best sports for developing skills such as ball control, immediate response and hand-eye coordination.
- Yoga: This practice helps children develop flexibility, concentration and relaxation.
- Skating: Coordination and balance in children is fundamental, and skating is one of the most recommended sports for developing these skills.
Sport as a means of getting to know and respect the natural environment
Sport in nature is the best way for children to get to know their environment and learn to respect it. Through outdoor sport, children can explore, learn and enjoy nature in an active and healthy way.
Hiking, climbing, mountain biking, camping or nature walks are some of the alternatives that children can enjoy in their own natural environment.
At Internacional Aravaca we have an incomparable natural environment, located in the surroundings of our school. Several Regional Parks and the Sierra del Guadarrama National Park are located in areas very close to our school. This allows us to programme activities in incomparable natural surroundings and to transmit ecological values to our pupils.